Saturday, November 29, 2008

Who Are You?


-->
One of my favorite songs from the classic rock era is “Who Are You” by The Who. Apart from being a great rock classic, it asks a very important question. And most Christians, especially men, are constantly trying to answer this question themselves without coming to grips with the truth of who they truly are. We are constantly trying to define ourselves by what we do, how successful we are, how our family looks, or even what ministry we are leading or what title/position we hold in our church or ministry. And we miss the joy and freedom that comes from knowing who we really are. As Brennan Manning says, we are Abba's child. We are the beloved of the Creator of the universe. We are loved. This truth needs to sink in and take root in our hearts. When it becomes a core conviction of your life, it has a powerful effect.
Look at Jesus. Just after His baptism, His Father made a public pronouncement of His identity. He said, "This is My beloved son, in whom I am well pleased". Jesus, after hearing this Himself, and after being affirmed publicly by His Father, went into the wilderness for His 40 day fast where He was tempted by the devil. And, of course, Satan's main line of attack was on Jesus' identity. "If you are the son of God..." was the constant badgering. But because Jesus knew who He was, He could stand up to the temptation and walk in freedom.
In John 13:3-5, we see the importance of knowing your identity again in the life of Jesus.
"Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come forth from God, and was going back to God, rose from supper, and laid aside His garments; and taking a towel, He girded Himself about. Then He poured water into the basin, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded."
Jesus was free to stoop at the disciples' feet and serve them, in order to teach them the importance of serving others, because He knew His true identity. He knew His place in the Father's heart and He knew His role in the kingdom. He wasn't self-absorbed in creating his own identity, living for the affirmation and praise of other people. He knew the truth and in that truth He was free indeed.
This takes us back to the original premise for this blog. What does it look like to live loved? To live your life knowing you are the beloved and knowing that every moment of every day, you are loved by the Father? As I ponder this in light of my own life, I realize that when hope seems to fade for something I am seeking from the Father, or when my life circumstances go in the wrong direction, I am so often hit with the thought, "God doesn't love me...or God doesn't seem to care...or even, God, who/where are you?" But I am learning to count certain things as true. I'm learning to trust Him when He says He loves me. This can be a very difficult road to travel, but as I am learning, it is well worth it.
If I can walk into every encounter with another human being, knowing I am loved, knowing I am my Father's beloved child, I will be free to love and serve them without any personal agenda of my own. I won't need affirmation or praise, I won't need to be thanked, and I won't even need to see success from my efforts. Now that's freedom!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John - I like the thought that knowing I'm loved frees me up to love and serve others. It's a sign that the love within me is from God - it produces in me a desire to give to someone else that which the Lord has given to me. - BW